Pennsylvania is the perfect place for families to find affordable winter fun and create magical memories to last a lifetime. With 19 ski areas from the Alleghenies to the Poconos you will find countless ways to play together in Pennsylvania. Whether you are looking for a quick weekend getaway to introduce the youngest family members to the slopes or planning a week-long vacation, there are a variety of packages, programs and specials designed to fit every adventure and pocketbook.
Looking for ways to save on a winter family outing? Check out some of these affordable family-friendly options:
- Most resorts have discounted rates for kids 12 and under.
- Children five years of age and under receive a free lift ticket with the purchase of a full price adult lift ticket at participating resorts.
- Fourth and fifth graders can ski or ride for free by signing up for the Snowpass program.
- Midweek skiing and riding is not only usually less than on the weekends but you get less crowded slopes to learn and play.
- Lift ticket, rental, and lesson packages for beginners are a great way to get everything you need for the day and save a few bucks too.
- Groups of 15 or more qualify for discounted rates at many of the resorts.
- Night owls can score big discounts by hitting the slopes for nighttime skiing at select resorts.
Skiing and boarding is a great way to get the kids active in the great outdoors all winter long and develop a life-long passion they can enjoy for years to come. Did you know the best time to teach your child to ski or snowboard is between the ages of 4 and 7? Pennsylvania resorts offer a variety of kid-friendly programs, starting around age three, designed to build self-esteem, while providing a safe and fun learning environment. Programs are based on age and skill level and include single lessons, first-time sessions and month-long adventure camps.
Ready for a day on the slopes, but have a tiny tot who’s not quite old enough for the children’s ski and board programs? No worries. Many PA resorts offer childcare during the winter season for ages starting as young as just six weeks. So, even the smallest family members can enjoy a fun learning environment while mom and dad are experiencing a great time on the mountain. Reservations are required, due to limited availability, so be sure to call ahead for childcare services at these SkiPA resorts.